Use a Virtual Machine for your Windows hacking tools
It is important to realize that you should use windows hacking tools inside of a virtual machine whenever possible in order to prevent possible damage to your primary operating system. However, tools like Hashcat should be run on your primary operating system to get the most out of your graphics card when attempting to crack password hashes.
- Keep your primary operating system completely clean
- Snapshots allow you to fix mistakes quickly with no problems
- Capability to compile Windows binary files that you can not compile in Linux
- Some hacking tools are exclusively developed for Windows
What is required
- Virtualization Software. Either VMware or Virtualbox will work.
- Windows 7 Virtual Machine. If you have not set one up yet, it can be done easily in just a few steps using Guide to Install Windows 7 in VMware.
Downloads for Windows Hacking Tools
- Immunity Debugger: Develop buffer overflow exploits. Download
- mona.py: Amazing python script to assist in developing buffer overflow exploits with Immunity Debugger. Download
- Metasploit: Executing exploits, controlling compromised hosts, performing reconnaissance, and much more. Download
- Hashcat: Great for cracking passwords. Download
- Cain and Abel: Multi-purpose Hack Tool. Download
- Burp Proxy Free: Proxy web traffic through to be analyzed and manipulated. Great for Web Application hacking. Download
- NMAP: Legendary vulnerability and port scanner. Download
- Nessus: Free local network vulnerability scanner. Download
- PowerSploit: Bundle of powershell privilege escalations, remote shells, reconnaissance, persistence, and more. Download
- Nishang: Similar to PowerSploit, but just as essential. Download
- Firefox Hacking Addons
- Python Pycharm, amazing environment to write and test scripts. Download
- Wireshark: Network Packet Analyzer. Download
Coming Soon: Scenarios you would use each of these tools in
- If you have not set up your Kali Linux VM yet, check out How to Install Kali Linux.